My pattern is a size 38 bust so I had to re-size it to a 34 bust. Luckily that went off without a hitch, even with the unusual seaming in the bodice. It's really just a princess seam without the curve around the bus - instead it continues in a straight line to form the point of the triangular bodice front piece, with bust darts to create the shaping at the bust
I really love the bodice. I really love the scoop neckline. It frames the collarbone area nicely. I have to say, I have never given much thought to showing off my collarbones or to my my décolletage until I put this dress on.
I usually am not a huge fan of pleats on skirts, especially pleats located on the hips. But I do not mind these ones too much. I kind of wish I could have converted them to gathers, but the fabric was too bulky.
I also shortened the hem by about 3" I think the awkward mid-calf length paired with the pleated hips would have been too much, but this way, I like it.
The only oops: as I mentioned I took 4 inches out of the bust to fit the pattern. I did not, however, take as much out of the hips. I did not need to because my hip measurement match the hip measurement on the pattern. I just took width out at the side seam to fit the bodice. I then made a muslin...of the bodice only. I did not foresee that the back bodice darts would not line up with the back skirt darts as they are supposed to. I didn't even think to check it. I guess I could take it apart and move the skirt darts in, or I could just deal with it and move on.
I decided to do a hand pick zipper because I was loving the fact that hand stitches basically disappear into this knit fabric and I thought it would be cool if the zipper looked like it was attached by magic... (by this I mean no visible stitching)
On the inside you can see the stitching.
I used an vintage metal zipper I had in my stash that I got either at a yard sale or a thrift store, I can't remember. I love metal zippers! I wonder why they stopped making them? Maybe they cost more to produce? Seems like they last longer and don't break like plastic ones do.
I bias bound the sleeves with the fabric from my high-low skirt. I did not want to use a self fabric bias binding because of the bulk.
I tried the dress on and realized the seam allowance at the waist seam was sticking straight out, despite being pressed up, and causing the waist the push away from my body unattractively. So I used seam binding to do double duty. I stitched the seam binding to the seam allowance by machine then turned it up and hand stitched it. It both stays the waist and binds the seam at the same time.
You can also see in the above picture that darts to not match.
I used some good ol' lace hem tape for the hem.
I also made the bracelet I am wearing in the pictures!
I was also wearing vintage clip-on earrings that don't feel like they're about the sever my earlobe.
And one of my favorite pairs of shoes which I have had so long I forgot where I got them. They used to have an ankle strap but it fell off. It's okay though because they still work as pumps.